National Population Register (NPR) of all the ‘usual residents’ in the country was created in 2010 and is the responsibility of every Indian to be part of it. NPR will not decide citizenship or resident status.
After the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) was passed and promulgated by the President of India, many myths are being spread about it as also the National Population Register (NPR) by vested interests. While facts about CAA are already known and spread, anti-India forces are clubbing it with NPR and National Register of Citizens (NRC) and attempting to create fear among a section of the people of the country.
The Narendra Modi cabinet has already approved funds for the Census and for updation of NPR. The NPR exercise will begin from April 2021. Government has allocated ₹3,900 crore for the exercise. Some facts about NPR which is only a Population Register are provided below:
What is NPR?
National Population Register (NPR) of all the ‘usual residents’ in the country was created in 2010. The field work for NPR data collection was undertaken alongwith Houselisting and Housing Census 2010. The electronic database of more than 119 crore usual residents of the country has already been created under NPR in English as well as the Regional Languages by collecting specific information of all usual residents.
As per decision of the Government of India, the NPR Database has been updated during 2015-16 in all States/UTs (except Assam and Meghalaya) to make a comprehensive resident database.
The Scheme for creation of National Population Register is being undertaken under the provisions of The Citizenship Act, 1955 and The Citizenship Rules, 2003. The NPR will contain the details of all the ‘usual residents’ of the country regardless of whether they are citizens or non-citizens of India.
Citizenship Rules, 2003 define the duties and responsibilities of every official of the Central Government, State Government, Local bodies or their undertakings, the individuals and the head of the household vis-a-vis NPR.
NPR will not decide citizenship or resident status.
What does updating NPR mean?
The Government has decided to update the NPR database alongwith Houselisting and Housing Census phase of Census of India 2021 during April–September 2020. Updating NPR involves the following:
– Updating the existing NPR database by verifying the details of all residents by conducting a house to house enumeration by the enumerator (designated Government official) and modifying/correcting the demographic data items.
– Collecting Aadhaar number from each resident voluntarily.
– Collecting Mobile number, Election Photo Identity Cards (EPIC) or Voter ID Card number, Indian Passport number and Driving License number, if available with the residents.
– Inclusion of all new resident(s)/new household(s) found in the local area (HLB) during the field work.
What details are to be provided for NPR?
For Enumeration of the Household the following details have to be provided:
– Census House Number and Household Number
– Present Address
– Pin code
– Household Status
– Number of members
Following details have to be provided to the Enumerator:
– Name of the person in full
– Availability of member of the household
– Relationship to Head
– Marital Status
– Date of Birth
– Place of birth
– Nationality as declared
– Educational Qualification
– Mother Tongue
– Permanent Residential Address
– Duration of stay and place of last residence
– Details of father, mother and spouse
– Aadhaar Number
– Mobile Number
– Voter ID Card Number
– Driving License Number
– Passport number